It’s that time of year again… where the sun shines longer and you get the sudden urge to purge.
Read on below for a few tips to get your house, and closets, back into shape.
1. Clean room by room: It may be tempting to start in one room, move on to the next – but we all know how this ends up. A bunch of rooms in your house that look like they exploded, with no cleaning done at all. Instead, try choosing one room a day (or week), and starting there. That one room can be broken down into an itemized list (Example: Closet clean out, cupboard clean out, dusting, vacuuming, etc) so you can check it off as you go.
2. Top to bottom: As dust and dirt fall down onto the floor and surfaces, always ensure you start at the top and work your way to the bottom. This can look like cleaning above the kitchen cupboards first, dusting light fixtures, working your way to the cupboards & fridge, and vacuuming and washing the floors last.
3. Windows are best cleaned on a cloudy day, as the direct sun can lead to streaks. Be sure to vacuum out those window tracks with last year’s bugs!
4. Now is a good time to pull off the couch cushions and vacuum deep inside. A leather polish can go a long way to revitalizing your couch as well.
5. Launder & store winter jackets, heavy sweaters and boots for next year.
6. Don’t forget the front door. The front door is always the first impression of anyone who enters your home. Be sure to power wash the door and siding, wipe down and polish the windows/glass, and replace last year’s doormats if worn down.
7. Here is one you may not have considered – purses! You would be surprised how many old receipts, lip glosses, hair ties and kids snacks can make their way and stand the test of time. Be sure to pull down and clean out your purses, bags and even jacket pockets.